Engraving by Bischoflack

“100 Insights into the Freising City Museum” is the title of the 45th anthology of the Freising Historical Society. With selected objects, it gives an overview of the diverse collection of the City Museum, which has more than 6000 objects. The publication shows a cross-section of Freising’s history from the Stone Age to the present day. The Historical Association is looking forward to the opening of the new city museum, in which these finds will be brought out of the depot and brought to light again. A series of the SZ Freising , in which selected exhibits are presented, offers a foretaste of this. Today: the Lordship of Bischoflack (Skofja Loka).

A copper engraving by Matthias Merian (1593-1650) has been in the Freising City Museum since 2004. It shows a view of Bischoflack. The engraving comes from Merian’s famous work “Topographia Provinciarum Austriacarum, Austria, Styriae, Carinthiae, Carniolae, Tyrolis, etc.”. Günther Lehrmann, Chairman of the Historical Association, writes in his contribution that Bischoflack came to Freising in 973 as a gift from Emperor Otto II. His successor Otto III. and Henry II expanded the property. Today’s town layout dates back to the 13th century. Bischoflack has been a town since 1273. According to Lehrmann, the city wall and gates followed in the 14th century. From 1803 Bischoflack was Austrian. After the Second World War, the city was given the name Skofja Loka, first belonged to Yugoslavia, then to Slovenia.

On the engraving by Merian, the episcopal palace dominates the townscape with its mighty tower. The Freising captain lived there as the bishop’s deputy. The keep, until then a landmark of the city, had to give way in 1892. Its foundations can still be seen in the castle garden. The bird’s eye view chosen by Merian allows a view of the many churches and chapels as well as the streets and alleys of Bischoflack. The city was partially destroyed by an earthquake in 1515 and rebuilt by Prince Bishop Philip of the Palatinate.

According to the historian Benno Hubensteiner (1924-1985), Bischoflack was a favorite seat of the Freising prince bishops. In the sister city of Skofja Loka, the Freisinger Mohr is still present in the city coat of arms. In the parish church of Sankt Jakob, built in 1511, the keystone of the choir vault above the high altar bears the coat of arms of the Bishop of Freising. According to Lehrmann, two Freising prince bishops met a tragic death in Bischoflack. On August 5, 1381, Leopold von Sturmberg fell from a bridge that still stands today into the Sora River and drowned. Konrad V. von Hebenstein fell victim to a robbery and murder in 1412. Both are buried in Skofja Loka.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You might like